Posts by edd

You have the TX & RX from the PIC the wrong way round, TXD on the GE865 should be connected to TX on the PIC.

Yes, this is taken from Wikipedia
    "Galactic cosmic rays are one of the most important barriers standing in the way of plans for interplanetary travel by crewed spacecraft. Cosmic Rays also place a threat to electronics placed aboard outgoing probes. A recent malfulction aboard the Voyager 2 space probe was credited to a single flipped bit, proably caused by a cosmic ray."
    As long as you don't send the GE865 into space there shouldn't be a problem.

You'll need to implement the SMTP protocol and send your attachment using MIME. You'll find loads of documents on the internet describing these protocols.

Firmware version PS:05.03.003/AL:07.01.403-GM862-GPS

I was lucky to get to play with one of the first of the new GM862-GPS modules and I must admit it is more than I expected.
    I unplugged the PCS module from my board and replaced it with the GPS version, attached the GPS antenna and switched on.
    No difference detected in my initialisation sequence except it was quicker.
    Usually the SIM takes a few seconds before it`s ready but it just seemed to quickly pass the CPIN READY ready stage with OK.
    So I entered AT$GPSNMUN=1,0,0,1,0,1,1 to see the NMEA output on the normal AT serial line and there it was

$GPSNMUN: $GPVTG,201.59,T,,M,0.91,N,1.69,K,A*34
    $GPSNMUN: $GPGSA,A,3,13,17,04,24,02,,,,,,,,,4.4,*36
    $GPSNMUN: $GPRMC,161005.998,A,5500.1534,N,00919.8956,W,1.43,282.38,240306,,,A*7

GPS position data streaming out on the AT port at 1 second intervals.

You can also see from this that it was seeing 5 satellites with a 3D postion fix and that was with the GPS antenna sitting on my desk indoors!
    From the information I have it appears that the GM862-GPS requires an active GPS antenna with a voltage range of 3 - 5V. I tried a Trimble antenna but it didn`t seem to work.
    I`ve more tests to do but so far this seems like an excellent little device that will find many uses especially in tracking applications. And for those of you who already have products out there that need GPS then this will make an easy upgrade to your existing product without any hardware changes. Well done, Telit.

BTW If you need position information instead of streaming NMEA just send the AT command
    AT$GPSACP(0D)(0A)
    and the response
    $GPSACP: 121659.999,5500.1627N,00919.8588W,2.0,47.3,2,036.16,1.22,0.66,250306,03
    OK

The LM1086 will work here even though the part is rated at 1.5A because 1.5A is the continuous rating which is more than enough. So with proper reservoir capacitors across the module it will work fine; as the capacitors, if properly selected, will handle the peaks of ~2A.

Tim, I`ve probably missed something here but if your battery is 3.6V and you`re PIC is operating at 3.3V and the camera is operating at 3.3V where does the level shifting need come from?
    In any case check out this link for a nifty level translator that works up to 300Khz
    http://www.edn.com/archives/1996/110796/23DI_02.htm

When you talk about undocumented commands I assume you`re referring to the firmware update software. We are aware of other undocumented commands being available for this camera but Round Solutions hasn`t been given any documents about them so we can`t help in this case.

Yes, 115200 can be achieved but at this speed be careful of stray capacitance/resistance which will corrupt the signal. Unfortunately it does take time to get the white balance correct but I think you might have the firmware version with auto power off. This is probably the reason you need to resync on every picture. With the apo version it powers down after about 10 secsonds. Update your firmware to the `nto` version and this will remove the apo. Use update not download when updating the firmware.

If you mean that you want to receive emails with your GPRS module then you need to implement the POP protocol and get an email address for your module... fairly straightforward.

This is not a forum for programming the PIC so you`d get more help if you visited the CCS forum.
    But in principle what you trying to do is fairly easy but you must have the basics done first, like have your comms routines written so that you can receive from the GPS unit and transmit to Hyperterminal. Once you have all your comms done then you need a simple function to extract the data you need from the GPS string and send it out to Hyperterminal. If you haven`t done any comms before, and by the looks of it very little C, then you`ve got your work cut out for you getting to the stage where you have a GPS string to work with. Good luck.

An ATX power supply should be more than enough. Just because it uses the same regulator doesn`t mean it`s the same. It`s probably a poor power supply design on your RS232 kit. You should go back to your supplier and ask them for advice.

I have also, by mistake, used download instead of update but it hasn`t damaged my camera so look elsewhere for your wrong image fault.
    BTW The firmware you downloaded removes the automatic power down where the camera powered down if idle for 10 seconds or more.

I too have worked on POS applications, about 20 years at it, and I understand what you mean but POS applications are nothing special, just lots of acks, naks as you say which could slow done things quite a bit on the turn around. But it`s good to hear you got there in the end despite sarky remarks from me and bytesworks :o)