T:Cannot use GPRS with a roaming Sim card

• Q: Type of module? A:
    GC864-QUAD-V2

Q: Firmware version? A:

Q: Type of starter kit you have?
    (S1, S1B, S2, S3, S4, EVK1, EVK2, none, other)

I dont know how to get the software version. The dev kit has a sticker on it that says: RS-EB-AS-3 1013 rev3

--

My problem is i cannot connect when using a roaming sim card. Thie following works fine when not roaming, but fails (as shown below) when i insert a roaming card:
    (ive blanked out username pasword etc with xxxxxx)

AT&F1

OK
    ATE0
    ATE0

OK
    AT+IPR=19200

OK
    AT+CMEE=2

OK
    AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 8,0

OK
    AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,5

OK
    AT#PASSW="xxxxxx"

OK
    at#userid="xxxxxx"

OK
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","xxxxxxx"

OK
    AT#SGACT=1,1

+CME ERROR: service not supported

Factory reset is done at the beginning to ensure i havnt changed any defualts.

CSQ shows enough signal.

CREG shows connected as roaming.

Any ideas why this fails? The same roaming sim card works perfectly in a competitors modem.

• OK and now proceed with this commands please:

AT+CREG?<cr>
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<the right APN>"<cr>
    AT#SGACT=1,1<cr>

just this commands NOT more and post the result please. Thank you.

• Please be so kind and support me with more detailed information:

Which type of SIM card do you use (data,call...)?
    Who is the provider from SIM card?
    Who is the roaming network?
    What is the name, type from the "different modem" you mentioned?

• Hi,

They are vodaphone sim cards, setup for voice and data.

The cards are supplied by Mach Communications.

Im trying to connect to vodaphone in new zeland:

APN: www.vodafone.net.nz

at+cops?

+COPS: 0,0,"vodafone UK"

shows im connected to vodaphone UK so i should be able to roam ok.

The modem that it works with is a "wavecom GR64"

• Hi,

We're trying to connect to vodaphone in NZ via roaming because the product will be sold in NZ, and hence we need to test connectivity via roaming.

I cant understand why i cannot connect with this modem, but can with the GR64.

I can connect to t-mobile in the uk with exactly the same commands, when using a t-mobile sim card.

• Zitat

I can connect to t-mobile in the uk with exactly the same commands, when using a t-mobile sim card.

That means at least has nothing to do with the module, there must something different in the SIM card!
    Have you tried with the APN from vodefone in UK? Please confirm.

• let us to understand:

when the module has to access to a GPRS service, it has to connect to the GPRS service offered by the net serving the module in that module (the module is registered on this net). So you should use its APN and I think it's difficult you could use the NZ APN if you are registered on a UK net.
    You say that:

Zitat

I cant understand why i cannot connect with this modem, but can with the GR64.

For sure you have not used the same AT commands on the competitor module, because at#SGACT=1,1 is a Telit command.

So please post the exact sequence of AT commands used with the module competitor and the related answers and also the answer to the following command: at+cgdcont?

• Hi,

Here is the commands sent to the GR64 which allows connection.

AT
    AT#F
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","www.vodafone.net.nz"
    AT#PPA="guest"
    AT#D0="*99***1#"
    AT#PUS="guest"
    AT#RIP="ftp server IP"
    AT#FPA="ftp password"
    AT#RPO="21"
    AT#FUS="ftp username"
    AT#STO
    AT

I cannot send additional commands; the GR64 modem is driven from firmware that i cannot change, hence we are attempting to replace this modem with a telit device.

• 1-
    First of all there are not the answers to these commands which I have requested to you. Furthermore there is no evidence that the module is registered on Vodafone UK and it's able to activate a PDP context with vadafone.net.nz APN

2-
    I can not find the syntax of at commands you have posted neither in Telit AT command user guide nor in the GR64 at command user guide (except for at+cgdcont command).

3-
    If you want to replace the GR64 with telit module, this should be a possible operation , but obviously you need to change the firmware driving the module if some propretary AT commands are not compatible

4-
    If you will be able to tell us for each command the right syntax at GR64 side and you will be able to give for each command the answer given by the module and give an evidence that the GR64 module is registered on vodafone UK net , maybe we can help you to give some indications.

Anyway to require that the module activates a PDP context with vodafone NZ APN while you are registered on Vodafone UK, I think this it's difficult. Also for GR64 model.

BR

• Hi,

The other GR64 modem is attached to a 'comtech uweblite'.

http://www.comtechm2m.com/m2m-news/uweblite-tcp-ip-modem.htm

http://www.adaptivem2m.com/downloads/uWEB-Lite-downloads.htm

It connects without an issue in the UK using a NZ sim card.

This modem is now obsolete, so we're trying to design a replacment in-house using a telit solution.

As ive mentioned before, I cannot directly access the modem, i cannot change the firmware to do this.

• OK, now I have understood. I missed that you have a Vodafone NZ SIMcard into the module and not a UK Vodafone SIM card.
    In this case yes, it should be possible to set the NZ vodafone APN , register the module on Vodafone UK and activate the PDP context if the Vodafone NZ SIM has a roaming agreement for GPRS also with Vodafone UK.

Please ask to Wilhelm to put you in contact to Telit directly to verify the possibility to design a replacement.
    Then we will post the result of this attempt on the forum

• Zitat

Originally posted by lucat
    OK, now I have understood. I missed that you have a Vodafone NZ SIMcard into the module and not a UK Vodafone SIM card.
    In this case yes, it should be possible to set the NZ vodafone APN , register the module on Vodafone UK and activate the PDP context if the Vodafone NZ SIM has a roaming agreement for GPRS also with Vodafone UK.

What AT command sequence do i use to do this?