Virtual COM Port

• Hi
    I have a TER-GX300 (07.03.301). The module works fine on a real COM port I have on my desktop PC, however when I switch to my laptop and use the USB->SER it doesn't seem to work fully. RSTerm crashes whenever I try to send an SMS.
    I have baudrate set to 115200
    Flow Control = Hardware

I have followed installation instructions USB_RS232_Cable.doc (found in CAB-ROU-232.zip)
    My Prolific Driver Ver is 2.0.13.130 (updated to latest version after the version downloaded from your website didn't work)

Any ideas?

• to find out from where this behaviour comes, please be so kind and make the same test with another terminal program (e.g. hyperterm) and post me the result.
    Thank you.

• Same behaviour happens with HyperTerminal. Here's what I typed:

at+csca?
    +CSCA: "+35387699989",145

OK
    at+csca=+35387699989,145
    OK
    at+cmgf=1
    OK
    at+cnmi=2,1
    OK
    at+cmgs=+353(my mobile no),145
    >
    And its at that prompt that it hangs.

• Yes I have tried to type after the ">" prompt! (Sure how else would I enter the SMS message?!). I've even tried just hitting <CTRL+Z> in the hope it might send a blank text, but no nothing happens. I need to reset the module in order to get an AT command working.

• Ok, I ask this to be sure nothing is forgotten.

I will try to reconstruct it in my test environment. Please be so kind an confirm the following questions. Thank you.

- you use an USB<=>RS232 converter delivered by RS?
    - the module and terminal software works with a normal RS232 as expected?

• Yes to both questions.
    On a side note (could be posting in the wrong forum but I think its related to this problem), the TelitPy 1.5.2 - PythonWin development package always returns an error that the COM port is Busy whenever I run one of the example applications (eg. ListSMS).
    This works fine for me on a normal RS232 as expected. Can you see if that also occurs in your test setup?

the TelitPy 1.5.2 - PythonWin development package always returns an error that the COM port is Busy whenever I run one of the example applications (eg. ListSMS).

Have you set the right port?
    Is the behaviour the same with the real com port?
    Which OS do you use?

• Port is set correctly.
    Like I said earlier, everything works well with a real COM port on my desktop PC, its when I switch to my laptop and use the USB<->SER cable and connector that I run into trouble.
    The OS on both my laptop and desktop are WinXP Home Edition SP3.
    I've tried to use the cable and connector on my desktop and the same problem occurs. I'm sure its something simple, these things generally are.
    I'll check the BIOS on my laptop and see if something there helps.

• Thanks for the information.
    I will contact the manufacturer from the USB<=>RS232 converter and ask him for a solution.
    In meantime I suggest to use a real RS232 only.
    Thank you.

• yes I know it. In meantime I have test many other models. No one works with all OS to my satisfaction. At the end I am can suggest a real serial port only.
    I'm sorry I did not have better news for you.